We want you to have the best possible outcome from your CFI experience. When you receive your CFI certification, both you and the industry benefit. Find the resources you need here to succeed.
Applicant must have two to four years in a public or private position responsible for investigation, interviewing and interrogation. In addition, one of the four following criteria must be met:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher plus two years of experience as stated above
- Associates degree plus three years of experience as stated above
- High school diploma or GED plus four years of experience as stated above
- Minimum two years experience as a full time faculty member at an accredited educational institution teaching interview and interrogation techniques—Experience as a full time faculty member at an accredited educational institution, teaching interview and interrogation techniques shall meet one of the three previous education/experience requirements listed
Other eligibility criteria:
- A person convicted of a felony, any crime of moral turpitude or misdemeanor relating to honesty, theft, embezzlement, fraud or the like shall be ineligible to become a CFI.
- The applicant must provide a copy of certified transcript of education ONLY if using college degree rather than experience to qualify.
- The applicant must successfully pass the prescribed background check, which may include a criminal background check, and examination process.
- Falsification or omission of information on the application form will be reason to disqualify an applicant from becoming or remaining a Certified Forensic Interviewer.
The examination is based upon 15 major content areas, composed of 160 items (140 scored items, 20 research items). The research items are not identified and performance on the research items does not affect your score.
- Preparation and Interview Setting (12 Questions)
- Legal Aspects (13 Questions)
- False Confessions (6 Questions)
- Interpretation of Behavior (15 Questions)
- Accusations (8 Questions)
- Showing Understanding/Rationalization/Themes (9 Questions)
- Assumptive Question (6 Questions)
- Enticement Question/Baiting Question (6 Questions)
- Denials/Backing Out (12 Questions)
- Statements (10 Questions)
- Telephone Interview (7 Questions)
- Fact Gathering/Cognitive Interviews (12 Questions)
- Sexual Harassment Interviewing (8 Questions)
- Behavioral Interviews (8 Questions)
- Field Interviews (8 Questions)
140 Total Questions There are 3 types of questions asked on the exam (Recall, Application & Analysis). A 95 raw score (69.5%) is the cut score to earn the CFI designation.
Candidates must submit the appropriate fee with a complete examination application according to the specified schedule. Payment may be made by credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express or Discover). Cash and personal checks are not accepted. All costs are in US dollars. TesTrac does not accept phone payments or faxed paperwork.
- The cost to sit for the Examination is $395.00 to be submitted online with the application
- If you are re-testing, the cost is $220.00.
- International examinees will be charged $455.00
- International examinees who are re-testing, the cost is $280.00
If you do not pass the examination, you may schedule a re-examination appointment by logging back into paying a $220 ($280 International) re-examination fee. There is a sixty-day waiting period between examination attempts. Individuals are limited to three attempts per year to pass the CFI Examination.
We offer a discount of 10% for 5 or more CFI Preparation Online Review courses. We also offer a 10% discount for 5 or more attending the WZ CFI Preparation Seminar. There are no discounts on the CFI Examination. For an in-house 2-day contract CFI Preparation Seminar, please contact us for pricing.
Resources for members of the military
Be prepared when you have completed your active duty by standing out above your peers. By becoming a CFI while in the military, you will be ready for either public or private sector career growth. The CFI exam is approved for the GI Bill. Visit: http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/licensing_certification.asp for how to get reimbursed for the CFI Exam. We currently offer a 10% discount to those active in the military for the CFI online preparation course. We are recognized by both the Army and Navy COOL Program (Credentialing Opportunities On-Line).